This is a question often asked by those interested in construction and thermal insulation. Styrodur is a brand and type of extruded polystyrene foam (XPS) that is widely used in various building applications. In this article, we take a closer look at styrodur, its properties, applications and benefits.
Properties of Styrodur
Styrodur has many distinctive properties that make it an attractive material for thermal insulation and other building applications. Here are some of the main properties of Styrodur:
- High thermal insulation: Styrodur has a low thermal conductivity coefficient, which means that it insulates perfectly against heat loss in buildings. This helps to reduce energy costs for heating and cooling.
- Low water absorption: Styrodur is hydrophobic, which means that it has a low capacity to absorb water. This makes it resistant to moisture and it does not lose its insulating properties even in the presence of moisture.
- High mechanical strength: Styrodur is strong and resistant to deformation. It can withstand heavy loads, making it a suitable material for use in floors, roofs and other areas where strength is required.
- Chemical resistance: Styrodur is resistant to most chemicals, making it durable and long-lasting.
- Easy to process: Styrodur is easy to work with and can be adapted to different shapes and sizes. It can be cut, drilled and glued, making it easy to install and assemble.
Styrodur is widely used in construction and other areas. Here are some popular applications for styrodur:
Thermal insulation of buildings
Styrodur is commonly used for the thermal insulation of buildings. It can be used to insulate walls, roofs, floors and foundations. Its high thermal insulation performance helps maintain optimum temperatures inside the building and reduces heat loss.
Styrodur is also used as an insulation material in floors. It can be used as a floor underlay to prevent heat loss through the lower storey of a building. Styrodur floor insulation can also provide additional thermal and acoustic comfort.
Styrodur is often used in roof insulation. It can be used as an insulating layer under the roof to prevent heat loss through the roof. Styrodur roof insulation can also help to maintain a stable temperature inside the building and prevent condensation.
Thermal protection of pipes
Styrodur can also be used for pipe insulation, especially for pipes that conduct heat or cooling. Insulating pipes with Styrodur helps to keep the temperature of the medium in the pipes stable and reduces energy losses.
Styrodur has low water absorption and is therefore also used for moisture protection. It can be used as an insulating layer on the outside of a building to prevent moisture penetration into walls and other structural elements.
Styrodur is also used in other areas such as packaging production, floor insulation in refrigerated containers, insulation in industrial installations and many others.
Benefits of Styrodur
Styrodur has many benefits that make it an attractive building material. Here are some of the main benefits of Styrodur:
- Energy saving: Styrodur, thanks to its high thermal insulation, helps to reduce energy consumption for heating and cooling buildings. As a result, energy costs can be saved.
- Thermal comfort: Styrodur thermal insulation helps to maintain a stable temperature inside the building, providing thermal comfort for occupants.
- Moisture protection: Styrodur is resistant to moisture absorption and can therefore help protect buildings from damp and moisture damage.
- Strength and durability: Styrodur is strong and resistant to deformation, making it a durable building material. It can withstand heavy loads and is not subject to decay or corrosion.
- Easy to install: Styrodur is easy to cut, drill and glue, making it easy to install. It can be adapted to different shapes and sizes, giving greater flexibility in the construction process.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
Here are answers to some of the most common questions about styrodur:
- Is styrodur an environmentally friendly material?
Styrodur is not biodegradable, but it can be recycled. It is also important to use it in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations to reduce environmental impact.
- Is styrodur safe for health?
Styrodur is considered a safe material to use. However, appropriate personal protective equipment such as gloves and masks are recommended during installation to avoid inhaling dust.
- Can Styrodur be used in buildings with high humidity?
Yes, polystyrene is resistant to moisture and can be used in buildings with high humidity. It can also be used in coastal buildings where there is strong exposure to sea vapour.
- What are the alternatives to styrodur?
Alternatives to polystyrene are other types of insulation, such as mineral wool, glass wool, polyurethane foam and others. The choice depends on the specific requirements and building conditions.
- Is styrodur fireproof?
Styrodur is not fireproof, but can be used in buildings with the appropriate fire protection regulations. In some cases, additional fireproofing materials are required.
- Can styrodur be painted?
Yes, styrodur can be painted, but use paints suitable for this type of surface. Also bear in mind that painting may alter some of the insulating properties of styrodur.
Purchase sandwich wall panels in the Kingspan shop!
Our panels are the perfect solution if you are looking for a high-quality wall construction material. We offer a wide range of panels with different parameters that meet the highest standards of thermal and acoustic insulation. Our sandwich panels will make your building energy-efficient, cosy and quiet. Don’t wait, invest in quality and choose Kingspan for an excellent end result!
Check with us :
Styrodur is a popular insulation material used in the construction industry. Its insulating properties, durability and ease of processing make it an attractive choice for many building projects. Safe to use and resistant to moisture, Styrodur provides thermal comfort, energy savings and protection for buildings from damage. Thanks to its versatility, it is widely used in a variety of applications. If you are planning a building project, styrodur is worth considering as an insulation material.